Friday, June 27, 2008

Thankful Thursday - On Friday


Because I had the honor of hosting the 40th Disability Blog Carnival yesterday, I did not post my usual Thankful Thursday entry. So I am doing that today. It is, however, a little different than most of the Thankful Thursday entries. Today I publicly want to give thanks to Jonathan and Sophia, the two people who were instrumental in obtaining the services for Ashley that I have referenced in several other posts here, here and here. This isn't a thanks for 'winning' but for 'being' - whether we win or lose in court, Ashley and I are definitely winners in life just by knowing Jonathan and Sophia.

I am so blessed to have both Jonathan and Sophia in my life. These are people whose goodness shines so brightly that I feel momentarily blinded - just like walking from a darkened room into the bright outdoor sunlight. Jonathan and Sophia can be found hour after hour, day after day, fighting for the rights of people with disabilities. Both are employed at the Virginia Office for Protection and Advocacy, but their real managing force comes from their steadfast and enduring commitment to helping others.

Today I raise my glass in a toast to you both, thanking you with words that seem insignificant but with a heart that is full.


JONATHAN

You are Ashley’s champion, a fighter, a warrior, her knight in shining armor.

You are my hero, the person whose passion and commitment inspire me to never give up.

You touch lives – you make a difference – you are a conduit for the success of others, others who by themselves might struggle and eventually succumb to despair.

The world is a better place because of you and I am a better person for knowing you.



SOPHIA

You are a human answer bank. The depth and breadth of your knowledge astounds me.

You are the spine of support for your organization and a stanchion of strength when all around you seems tremulous.

Your every thought is weighed in your heart, and your compassion is a pledge revealed in your eyes.

The world is a better place because of you and I am a better person for knowing you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very touching. I am so glad you have these incredible people in your life and in Ashley's.

Michelle Morgan-Coole said...

Beautiful post.
I think sometimes it's too easy to forget to publicly thank those who really make a difference in our and our children's lives. I like to think of them as guardian angels.

Casdok said...

Beautiful post!

I will just get a cup of tea and have a read of your carnival!

Anonymous said...

The honor is, as it always has been, mine. I'm so pleased and proud to have been the mouthpiece for your commitment and Sophia's creativity.