Monday, August 10, 2009

The First Giddyup


Ashley experienced yet another ‘first’ this past weekend. Imagine for a moment that you cannot see or hear. A person you trust asks you to put your right foot onto a hard bar, then push yourself up, swing your leg over something wide and hard, and then balance yourself and hold onto a small thing sticking up right in front of you. The person you trust never lets go of you, but still is asking you to do something very new and very scary. Would you do it?

Ashley did.

She took a ride on her first ever carousel horse! So in addition to mastering the mounting of the horse, she then had to hold on while feeling her world go around and around. I think that was one of the bravest things she has ever done, and I am very proud of her.

I am also very grateful to Miss Amy for pushing Ashley to try these new experiences!!

(I made a video of the whole thing, but wrongly assumed that I could turn my little flip video camera to take a vertical rather than horizontal movie. So, I have the movie but the only way you could watch it is to turn your head or your monitor sideways. If someone knows of some free software that would help me flip the movie, I would be most appreciative.)

3 comments:

Christina said...

Deborah! Oh I am so happy to have randomly stumbled across your blog. I hope you remember me because I sure remember you and your sweet family. It's Christina Jones- I was an OT student who used to babysit/tutor Ashley about 5 years ago now I guess. We have since moved back to Texas to be closer to grandparents and I am working as a home health pediatric OT and loving it!!! Cory and I have three boys now (it's crazy!)We have tons of pictures on our blog, though if you check it out you will see I am not so good at updating it.
Oh I truly loved reading your blog posts and catching up on your family. I can't believe how much Ashley is doing compared to when I was there! And cursing in sign language :) One of my patients is a 3 year old little girl wtih CP and deafblindness. She is adorable.

I guess this comment is getting to long for a "comment" but I just had to write when I followed a link and saw your picture! My prayers have always been with you guys and I tell your amazing sacrificial story to everyone! God Bless.
Christina

Casdok said...

Well done Ashley! Brillient!
I can understand you being very proud :)

Ashley's Mom said...

Christina!!! I am so happy to hear from you!!

Please email me - link is on my blog. I went to your blog but couldn't find an email. I would love to chat.

Deborah
p.s. Your boys are absolutely adorable!!