Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Harvesting


Saturday was cool and rainy but it was also the day we had scheduled to drive to Carter Mountain Orchard. The apples and pumpkins didn't care about the weather so we didn't either!

Carter Mountain is near Charlottesville, Virginia. It is a family tradition to drive up early in October and stock up on apples and hot apple doughnuts (my primary reason for wanting to go!). Although traffic was heavy in the Charlottesville area due to a University of Virginia football game that day, we arrived early at the orchard and beat most of the crowd.

We first made our way to the pumpkin patch, and Chip and Ashley did a fine job of surveying all the options before making the perfect selection. We then had to explore the colorful gourds and all the varieties of apples before purchasing our dozen warm apple doughnuts. We enjoyed them at a picnic table while listening to a live bluegrass band. The adults in the group even sampled some of the orchard's signature wines.

Finally, we loaded our purchases into the car and started the trip down the mountain. All in all, it was a wonderful start to yet another Autumn!




Today I am thankful for my down comforter. It was nice to snuggle under it last night.

3 comments:

Azaera said...

Wow that sounds like so much fun! I wish I could have gone too haha.

Corrie Howe said...

Mmmm. Sounds, tastes, smells, looks and feels wonderful. Wish I could've been there.

Erin said...

Hi Deborah,
Thank you for your blog. It has touched me for many reasons, mostly because you talk about important people and issues I care about. As a reward, I left you a present on my blog – I’ve nominated you for the Lemonade Stand Award. To accept, you must comply with the following conditions:
- Put the Lemonade logo on your blog or within your post. You can lift it off my blog, http://www.empowerpeoplechangelives.com.
- Nominate at least 10 blogs with great attitude or gratitude.
- Link the nominees within your post.
- Let the nominees know they have received this award by commenting on their blog.
- Share the love and link to the person from whom you received this award.
Please accept the award. I can’t wait to see and follow the people you give it to.

Thanks for your dedication to blogging!