Thursday, September 23, 2010

Exciting Times


It seems to me that technology to assist people with disabilities has really taken a huge step forward recently. Almost every day, I read a new article or blog post about a technological advance that is improving the lives of people with disabilities.

Since I have both a Deaf child and a Deafblind child, I am always interested in things that can help them. I've been keeping a list of articles when I find them, and today have decided to share them. It really is an exciting time! Although we have a long, long way to go, I truly believe my childrens' lives will be greatly enriched by the application of technology.

Read how Austin Seraphin believed his life changed the day he bought his new IPhone.

Visit the Alabama School for the Deaf, and it's impossible to miss the signs of a revolution that many hearing people simply never noticed.

Can the Deaf enjoy music? Indeed they can!

Do you think a Braille GPS device would help a Blind person as they travel through city sidewalks? The jury is still out on this one, but hopefully it is just the starting point for futher product development.

I do most of my shopping online these days, especially during busy holiday times. Will my Blind daughter ever be able to do the same thing? Just maybe...

And finally, some Korean designers have crafted a Braille Stapler that they claim will revolutionize the way a Deafblind person communicates with the world. Ashley is Deafblind, so this piqued my interest. But, sorry Korean designers, I'm just not seeing it yet...

No comments: