Friday, February 15, 2008

Sis Disaboom Baa


There are many reasons I enjoy blogging, but one of them is that I now feel connected to a community of people who share a common interest, a community of people who ‘get it’ when it comes to disability issues. I wrote in January about how isolating being a single parent of children with disabilities can be. Blogging has eased that isolation a bit for me.

Dr. J. Glen House is someone else who understands the value of community to people whose lives have been touched by disability. Dr. House founded Disaboom, Inc., the first interactive online community dedicated to constantly improving the way people with disabilities or functional limitations live their lives. I know that many of my readers are already familiar with Disaboom, but for those of you who aren’t, I strongly encourage you to visit. Disaboom is a comprehensive online resource for anyone with any type of disability, their families, friends, caregivers, employers, and support network.

According to the Disaboom website, “Disaboom.com strives to provide tools and guidance needed to live active, engaged lives. When it comes to sharing stories and personal insights, there’s nothing stronger than the power of community – which is why Disaboom.com is connecting the millions touched by disability to both information and each other.” The initial launch of the Disaboom website was great, but a new look was launched on Jan. 18, 2007 and includes new features such as photo sharing, grouping of social activities, personal network creation, and additional medical condition content.

Disaboom is guided by four core beliefs:

  • Expertise comes in many forms.

  • Knowledge is power — and so is community.

  • You don’t have to be disabled to be touched by disability.

  • The word “disability” may apply to us – but will never define us.


Again, I encourage all of you to visit and explore this very valuable resource. It will be a good use of what I know is your very limited time!

1 comment:

Casdok said...

I certainly will visit, and if you have the time pop over to my place as im having a party!
Bring a bottle!