Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving


This is a tough year to be thankful. I’ve even stopped watching the nightly news because the continued talks about the failing economy, home foreclosures, layoffs and such depress me greatly. Yes, I am probably just sticking my head in the sand, but now, especially during the holidays, I don’t need to be depressed.

I don’t believe there is any person among us who has not been touched in some way by the grim economic situation this country is facing. But, I have to keep telling myself, and my sons because they worry also, that this is part of a cycle. Perhaps it is time for the greedy world of wants and not needs to get a wake up call. It’s hard though, especially for a child, when they haven’t experienced the full cycle before.

I do believe that as parents we need to make sure our children do not get too preoccupied and concerned with the gloom and doom. We can create lessons to be learned, but we, or at least I, don’t want to create anxiety.

So for today, let’s all find something for which we can be thankful. Be it small things or big things, I believe we can all find something. Share those things with your children, and ask them to share with you their list of thanks.

Our world, though troubled, is still a beautiful, special place to live and grow.

Happy Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have been addicted to the news, watching the terrorist attack in India and wondering about our friends who may have been traveling there or family they have there. Very sad and scary. Not what you want to see on Thanksgiving day or any day for that matter.

I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving. We are going to my aunts today with family.