Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The $6500 Dishwasher


So I decided it was time to replace my dishwasher. It was 14 years old and wasn't doing the best job of cleaning the dishes. I shopped around, found the one I wanted, and set up the appointment to have it installed. That's when things took a turn for the worse.

Apparently the 14 year old dishwasher had been leaking for the entire 14 years. There was a hole big enough for a basketball to fit through in the back right corner of the subfloor under the dishwasher. Not only that, the wood parts that hold up the house (notice I do not know any technical terms...) were rotted also. Even the brick on the back of the house right behind the dishwasher was damaged.

I contacted my insurance company, and of course, they don't pay for 'rot', as they said. They would pay to have my kitchen floor replaced, but I don't think anything is wrong with my kitchen floor.

I received the estimate today for repairs - $6200!! I will get another estimate, but oh my goodness, what am I going to do??

All I can say is that this new dishwasher had better clean the hell out of my dishes.

No comments: