Thursday, November 8, 2012

Still Swollen


About two and a half weeks ago, I noticed Ashley's right ankle and foot were very swollen. There was no bruising that might indicate an injury, and she didn't seem bothered by it.

Then on November 1st, I told you about our adventures during Hurricane Sandy - our visits to the doctor and ultimately, an ultrasound of Ashley's leg and foot under anesthesia. During that visit, the doctor had also ordered some blood work that would also indicate if any blood clots were present. The blood work was negative.

So, the good news is that we haven't discovered any potentially life-threatening blood clots. The bad news is her ankle and foot are still very swollen.

After discussions again this week with the doctor, Ashley is now going to have an MRI under anesthesia to see if anything else looks strange on her leg. I sort of feel like everyone is just grasping at straws and doesn't really have any good ideas as to what is causing the swelling. Perhaps the testing is the prudent course, but I am worried that it is something sinister and something that needs to be dealt with asap. Of course, that is more than likely my normal mother-worrying.

We don't have a date for the MRI yet. I am still waiting to hear from the hospital, but hopefully it won't take too long.

Have any of you experienced any similar swelling? If so, what was the cause? I am avoiding Dr. Google completely because I am afraid I will read something that scares me even more than I already am.

(The picture above is not Ashley's foot, but her foot looks just like that.)

3 comments:

Kari said...

Have they thought about cellulitis? It usually happens in older adults, but Ashley is not the average bear! Is she on antibiotics?

Anonymous said...

Gout?

Tabitha said...

Brandon had something that looked like the pic and he was allergic to a med! Praying for answers for you and Ashley!