Monday, July 8, 2013

Eyes On

Well, I did it.  I've gone back and forth on the idea of installing cameras in my home, cameras that will allow me to see what transpires with Ashley and her aides when I am not at home.  But this weekend I decided to install them.

I consulted with other families who have children with significant disabilities, and almost all of them already had cameras installed.  I decided that for Ashley's safety and my peace of mind that I had to do the same.

Now when I am at work, or anywhere actually since I can view the camera footage on my cell phone, I can check in and see how things are going.  One of the cameras I installed also has a recording capability, a recording which hopefully I will never need to share with anyone.

The video is very good as is the audio.  I haven't decided if I will announce to the aides that the cameras are there, but it is very obvious.  They are not hidden and they look like cameras.

I really wish I didn't have to take this step, but now that I am using an agency for aides (rather than hiring them myself), and because there are multiple aides as well as substitutes should one of the regulars call out sick, I feel it is in Ashley's best interest to ensure her safety and her proper care.

Have any of you installed and used cameras?  Were you happy with your decision?  What, if any, pitfalls did you encounter while using them?

No comments: