Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Heating Up Autism


Hitting the airwaves yesterday was a story on most major news outlets about how a fever can temporarily unlock Autism's grip on children. Here is a link to the story on MSNBC:

Elevated Temperature Can Restore Cell Communication in Brain

I really hope as parents and others whose lives are touched by a person with Autism hear and read these stories, that they see the information as offering a clue for treatment and not a cure. The fact that many people want to 'cure' autism bothers me, but I'm not sure I can do a good job of explaining why.

I am one of those people, one of those parents, who sees a child first and the disability second. In fact, I believe the world is a richer place because everyone is different. Diversity is, in my opinion, beautiful. If we, as a society, could 'cure' every disability, should we even want to?

I strongly suggest that before you answer that question, you view the following slideshow. It's not easy to watch, but its message is profound.

Getting The Truth Out

No comments: