Friday, October 9, 2009

Black and Blue


Ashley bruises easily due to one of her seizure meds. But, when she comes home from school with large, very black and blue bruises, I do have to wonder what happened.

I’m quite familiar with the types of bruises that are accidents on Ashley’s part – running into things, for example. Those things are expected due to her blindness. But, the perfect shape of fingertip bruises on her upper arm, or the large bruise on her wrist are more than likely not due to accidents.

One of Ashley’s teacher and I have been discussing this for a while now. I'm very lucky this year that this particular teacher is a very caring and concerned person, a parent herself of a child with a disability. So, when she sees a bruise, a scratch, anything out of the ordinary, she calls me. We both feel that the bruises we are seeing are happening on the school bus.

And that must be why I received a phone call today from Central Office Transportation. I believe Ashley’s teacher contacted them. The bus staff doesn’t sign – they probably don’t recognize when Ashley is having a seizure –and they don’t appear to understand that transitions are difficult for a child with special needs. As a result, there is a lot of pulling and tugging to get Ashley off the bus.

The transportation person was very professional and very concerned. In fact, many years ago, she used to be Ashley’s bus driver, and still has a fondness for my lovely daughter. She asked me – really asked me – what I felt was happening. She told me she would be pulling the video tapes from the bus to see if she could spot anything. She told me that if training was needed for the bus staff, she would make it happen.

That conversation was one of the most positive I have ever had with a school district employee.

So, even though I don’t have any answers yet about the source of the bruises, I believe I will have answers very soon. Kudos to both Ashley’s teacher and the transportation person. You are both the type of people who make me want to send Ashley to school each day.

Today I am thankful for the upcoming three day weekend. I'm hoping the rain will pass quickly tomorrow morning so we can go apple picking.

3 comments:

Corrie Howe said...

I'm glad to hear you are getting such a positive response. I remember on rare occasions my children coming home with bite mark bruises on their arms...I didn't like it one bit.

Azaera said...

Wow that is scary! I would be so irate. I'm so glad they are going to get to the bottom of it and fix the problem.

Michelle Morgan-Coole said...

This would be pathetic no matter what, but do I recall you saying before that Ashley travels on a special needs bus? Because if so, it's beyond pathetic if they fail to understand that transitions are difficult for a child with special needs. Like ... duh?!