Monday, July 26, 2010

Hospital - Day 1


I was pleasantly surprised with many things at the hospital today. My experiences in the past at this huge teaching hospital have not always been pleasant. For example, when Ashley got her G-tube 13 years ago, I ended up in the hospital administrator's office threatening to go to the press if things weren't changed.

But today, I didn't complain much at all :)

We arrived just after 8am, and I was expecting a long wait to get through admissions and actually arrive at a room. The wait was only about 10 minutes and within 15 minutes, we had a room.

The room was a semi-private, but I asked for a private one considering the surgery prep procedures Ronnie would have to endure. Surprisingly, within 10 minutes, we were in a private room.

The nurses were wonderful even though they did forget a few little things. But, because there are so many little things with Ronnie, I understand, and I really didn't mind reminding the nurses several times.

As with any teaching hospital, there were many doctor visits, and although most of them had a poor bedside manner, I hope my response to them help to 'educate'. As I'm sure many of you parents of children with complex medical needs have experienced, the doctors really don't always know everything and do need a little education now and then!

It wasn't long after our arrival before Ronnie was hooked up to his GoLightly drip, and as anyone who has ever had that stuff, 'GoLightly' is definitely not the correct descriptive term.

We had a few issues with interpreters and the DeafTalk device, but thankfully Ronnie's interpreter today was someone who has worked with our family before, and she was as strong an advocate as I. Because the staff was unable to get DeafTalk hooked up and working, Ronnie will have round-the-clock interpreters until they do!!

The night is going to be a long one for my sweet boy because he has a second gallon of GoLightly to work his way through, but I am praying for at least some sleep for him - and happy dreams to go along with the sleep.

Since surgery is an all day affair tomorrow (he goes in at 6:30 am and ends up in the ICU around 7pm), I may not be able to post tomorrow. But please keep my dear son in your thoughts and prayers.

And for everyone who is offering support, THANK YOU! That means you - Amy, Sara, Mary, Cindy, Jane, Lymmette and Mia.

2 comments:

Queenbuv3 said...

Glad to hear things are off to a good start : ) Hope things continue to be positive.

Deana said...

Prayers for Ronnie and you all through his surgery, and recovery.