Friday, July 16, 2010

A Wonderful Change!


Today’s blog is about a very rare subject – at least in my life and Ashley’s life. I’m so pleased with the bus staff for this Summer’s ESY, and I feel compelled to state that publicly.

“WHAT!?” you ask. “AREN’T YOU THE PERSON WHO WRITES ABOUT HOW AWFUL TRANSPORTATION IS IN YOUR SCHOOL DISTRICT?”

Yes, that would be me. In fact, here are links to some of my past school bus rants – July 2009, April 2009, June 2008, September 2007, July 2007, and again July 2007.

I’m not naïve enough to think my school district transportation services have suddenly healed themselves, but Ashley’s services during ESY this Summer have been stellar.

The driver that picks Ashley up in the morning has met her in the past. He actually remembered her and remembered some of her little quirks, especially the ones that keep her happy during the bus ride. He remembered about her seizures. And most importantly, he seems to genuinely like Ashley.

The aide is new, and perhaps she is taking her cue from the driver, but she also is very pleasant and seems to enjoying Ashley’s presence.

But the thing that ensured these two a spot in the Ashley Hall of Fame is the way they ‘took on’ the teacher when they felt the teacher wasn’t treating Ashley the way they wanted her treated.

They spoke up – they demanded changes – and the changes happened!

Now Ashley skips out to the bus each morning with a big smile on her face, and seems equally happy on the bus trip home. Life is good with this Summer’s transportation, and for just a little while, I’m not going to worry about transportation woes for the upcoming school year.

1 comment:

Azaera said...

That's fantastic! I'm so happy you and Ashley have such caring people in your lives right now.