Thursday, October 13, 2011

Dizzying

Advances in technology for people with disabilities seems to be happening at a dizzying speed. Every week, I read multiple articles about planned or already-in-use technology. Here's two from this week:

A young man who was left a quadriplegic by a motorcycle accident used his thoughts to control a prosthetic arm to reach out and stroke his girlfriend's hand:

"It wasn't my arm but it was my brain, my thoughts."

And, in a two-month summer course on high-performance computing, promising undergrads compete to create innovative applications. This summer's winner developed a touchscreen Braille writer that stands to revolutionize how the blind negotiate an unseen world by replacing devices costing up to 10 times more.



These are very exciting times for people with disabilities, and I think they will get even more exciting as we move into the future!

No comments: