Monday, October 17, 2011

Room in the Nest


Being the parent of adult children is not always fun. I remember the disappointment in my mother's voice when I had to call her and say I wouldn't be coming for a visit because something else in my life took priority. It really shouldn't have but when you are a young adult and know everything, priorities are often skewed.

I experienced the same disappointment this past weekend.

My 19 year old son, Corey, is leaving for Army basic training very soon. He will be many states away and I don't know how long it will be until we see him again. He's been told that immediately after basic training, he will be going to an 18 week class in yet another far away state.

To both celebrate his future and to spend one last day together as a complete family, I planned a big meal and looked forward to having all my children home for the day. Unfortunately that didn't work out.

Jessica called me in the morning, and I reminded her that we would see her at 10am. She said OK. 10am came and went, as did 11, 12, 1 and 2. Our meal was planned for the late afternoon, and I kept hoping she would show up in time for that.

She didn't.

So my plans for one last family portrait with everyone in it fell apart. Corey asked several times if Jessica was going to show up, and I had to tell him I didn't know. I think he, like me, was disappointed.

I haven't heard from Jessica yet, and I guess I should try not to sound disappointed when we do talk, but it will be hard.

Sometimes the momma bird has to kick the little ones out of the nest, and sometimes the momma bird wishes they would stop back by once in a while.

No comments: