Thursday, June 14, 2012

Pushing Independence



I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the new show on the Sundance channel called Push Girls. It's a reality show about four women who are friends and who happen to use wheelchairs. It reminds me a bit of the show Switched at Birth on ABC Family in that the focus of the show is not wholly on disability. Disability happens to be a part of the women's lives, but only a part.

I asked Ronnie to watch Push Girls with me last night because I wanted him to see how independent the women are. Ronnie is used to people doing a lot for him. But if he wants to meet his goal of independent living anytime in the future, he needs to switch his perspective. I believe watching this show might help.

After the show was over, he told me he like it and thanked me for telling him about it. Whoa! Might that signal a bit of progress????

Here is a great review of the show by NPR...

Push Girls - A Fresh Take on Women Riding on 26 Inch Rims

No comments: