Monday, March 10, 2014

One After The Other

I go back and forth about this - is it easier to be sick and have well kids, or have sick kids and be well myself?  Or is the worst thing to be sick AND have sick kids?  I don't know the answer, but I do know that the last two weeks have been hell around our house.

First I was very sick with norovirus.  Because of my compromised immune system, I don't get a little sick.  I get in the bed, have a hard time functioning sick.  From a Thursday to Sunday, I couldn't keep any food down, and struggled to stay hydrated with Gatorade.

On Saturday of that week, Ashley woke up vomiting.  I expected a really tough time for her, but 36 hours later, she was pretty much back to normal.

Tuesday, the following week, the norovirus got Ronnie.  He seemed to be the least sick of all of us, but since it hit his intestinal system hard, caring for him (including a LOT of cleanup) was horrible, to say the least.

Then Thursday of last week, Chip got sick.  Since he must have a similar genetic makeup as I, it's hit him pretty tough also.  It's now Sunday, and he is still battling nausea.

So, to answer the questions I posed at the start of this post, it's been really hard to have everyone sick CONSECUTIVELY.  And being a gastrointestinal virus versus a cold-type virus just increased the level of difficulty.

Needless to say, I am really, really looking forward to Spring - open windows, warm breezes, and fewer sick people...

1 comment:

schnitzelbank said...

Ugh, I hear you. My husband was out of town, and I have no family in town. My 5 yr old got Norovirus....then me....at the same time. The 2 yr old stayed healthy, which was hard: he wanted to play, as us two were so sick. A miserable experience. Get well soon!