Friday, February 7, 2014

Does Deaf = Broken?

I found this very thought provoking short film this week. It caused me to examine my thinking and views related to deafness, and I believe it will do the same for you. The only other thing I will say is that by the end of the film, I was very, very sad...

Shot in the style of a documentary, The End follows four fictional deaf children through their lives into an imagined future, as some decide to undergo treatment for deafness while others refuse it. But as the number of deaf people dwindles, what happens to the those who gradually find themselves without a culture?

Directed by Ted Evans, The End imagines the decline of deaf culture over the course of 60 years and how it impacts four individuals who have very different experiences accompanying the advent of a treatment that completely "cures" deafness. Rather than arguing for or against the preservation of deaf culture, The End asks what life might be like for the last generation of people to grow up deaf.



No comments: