Friday, October 21, 2011
October is Disability Awareness Month.
October is Down Syndrome Awareness Month.
Did you know that October is also Spina Bifida Awareness Month? It is, and because I have an amazing son who happens to have Spina Bifida, I wanted to share some information with you!
* Every day in the United States, an average of 8 births are affected by Spina Bifida or a similar birth defect of the brain and spine.
* Spina Bifida remains the most commonly occurring complex birth defect in this country.
* The root cause of Spina Bifida is unknown and the effects for each person are different.
* Spina Bifida is a multitude of problems that affect the mind, the body and the spirit.
* Advancements in treatment and prevention have opened new doors for those with Spina Bifida.
* While it presents unique challenges, those affected by Spina Bifida are able to attend school, work, raise a family, and spend time with friends just like everyone else.
And as you know if you are a regular reader of this blog, Spina Bifida does not stop Ronnie from being a wheelchair basketball star!!!
To celebrate this month of Spina Bifida Awareness, the Spina Bifida Association hopes to bring to light through pictures the successes of those who live each day with this birth defect. There are a lot of ways in which individuals and families can get involved, and one of those ways is by submitting your vote for the “Celebrate SB,” Facebook photo contest designed to acknowledge the accomplishments of the Spina Bifida community. Voting will be open through October 31st on Facebook. Fans can vote only one time per day during this period on their favorite photo!
Please take a few moments and check out the photos! Then cast your vote for your favorite. In the process, you might just be surprised by the non-limiting nature of Spina Bifida!!