Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Ryan's Mommy


A mother is likened unto a mountain spring that nourishes the tree at its root; But one who mothers another’s child is likened unto a water that rises into a cloud and goes a long distance to nourish a lone tree in the desert.

The Talmud


There’s a new mommy in town, and her name is Amy!! Yes, Amy – the person who has been like a daughter to me, and a big sister to all my kids. Four month old Ryan, the child of a drug-addicted mother who is on her way to either rehab or jail, will join his new foster mommy very soon. What a lucky little boy he will be!!

Amy decided a few months ago that she was ready to be a parent. And, being the incredible person that she is, she decided that she wanted to foster and/or adopt. It takes a really, really special person to become a foster parent, and the job is even more difficult if the new parent is a first-time parent. Knowing that the foster child may only be a temporary addition to the family can be heart wrenching and requires someone of great maturity to accept. To be able to give 100% of your love to a child, and then run the possibility of that child not staying is, in my opinion, one of the hardest situations for a parent to tackle. I have always thanked God that there are people who can handle that burden, and now I know one first hand – Amy!

The extra bonus in this situation is that I am now a “foster grandparent” of sorts, and Amy and I are trying to figure out what little Ryan will call me – Nana? Nanny? DeeDee?

God bless you, Amy, and little Ryan too!

2 comments:

Carl Anderson said...

That's wonderful news. I know Amy will be an outstanding parent.

Carl Anderson said...

That's wonderful! I know Amy will be a wonderful parent.