Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Loving the ZZZZZZ's


I’m almost afraid to write this post fearing that it may jinx the good thing that has been happening.

ASHLEY IS SLEEPING MORE AT NIGHT!!!

Now that may not sound like a big deal, but for those parents whose children have difficulty sleeping, you know why I am excited.

For 13 years – from the time I brought Ashley home at 2 years old – until now – and she will be 15 very soon, she has NEVER slept through the night. In fact, she was usually up more than she was asleep.

Four to six times a night was the average, but many nights were worse than that. A ‘good’ night, at least my definition of ‘good’, meant she was only up three times. I am a single parent - I have to work full time - and I have three other children. You can probably imagine the impact all this has had on me.

One of Ashley’s doctors told me it was like leading the life of a hospital intern. Never sleeping more than two hours at a stretch, interns just learn to function in such an environment, and the doctor said that’s what I was doing. I may have learned how to function, but I’m sure I wasn’t functioning well.

But for about two months now, Ashley has only been getting up once a night. Of course, if she is sick, all bets are off, but she has been well long enough now for my body to feel revitalized with all the sleep!

I’m feeling almost human again, and I’m sure that I have now blown it by sharing this with the world. Please, everyone, keep your fingers crossed that this is not just a phase but rather a new way of life!

5 comments:

Queenbuv3 said...

Yay!! I have had many sleepless nights myself so I know why you are so excited : )

Erin said...

So glad that you and your Ashley have been able to get some sleep! What a good feeling that must be!

mommytoalot said...

Whoo hooo. Hope she continues to sleep for you.

mommy~dearest said...

(Yay!)

Corrie Howe said...

I'm hoping that you haven't jinxed yourself. Sleep it a good thing.