Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Worth Watching

I'm having a YouTube sort of day...so today I decided to share two of my favorite videos with you.

The first video was made by Joey Mazzariono, head writer at Sesame Street for his adopted daughter Segi from Ethiopia.

The little girl seemed quite unhappy with her hair when she compared it to the sunshine blonde of her favorite doll, Barbie.

"She was going through this phase where she really wanted like the long, blonde hair. ... She would look at Barbies and really want the hair, "said Mazzariono in an interview to an entertainment daily.

The video shows the muppet wearing different hairstyles like braids and cornrows, singing about how she loves her hair and does not need to go to a beauty salon. The whole idea was to educate little girls to like themselves as they are, according to Mazzariono. A lot of Afro-American girls can now identify themselves with Segi.



The second video features Johnny Knoxville, the lead actor in JackAss 3D. Now, who would have thought I would ever like someone like that, especially in a movie like that!

This clip shares footage of Mr. Knoxville's movie, The Ringer, and also features Eddie Barbanell. Eddie Barbanell has Down Syndrome, and in this video, he and Mr. Knoxville talk about the use of the R-Word. Just for the record, the movie, The Ringer, is endorsed by the Special Olympics. Don't be like me and make an assumption about the movie from just reading a synopsis of the plot. The movie is a jewel about inclusion.

2 comments:

Rena said...

that is wonderful. I didn't see that movie (although I have seen Jackass) because I assumed the worst too. I'm adding it to my Netflix cue now.

Trish said...

Thanks for sharing these. I just went and put The Ringer in my queue on Netflix also!