Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Mixing it Up!

This past weekend I splurged on a new blender - a really nice new blender - the Vitamix Pro 300. I have spent the last month researching both the Vitamix and the Blendtec, and Vitamix won.

I really want to try to improve my family's eating habits. I want to get more fruits and vegetables in them, as well as reduce calories and all those other bad things we are not supposed to eat. I figured having a blender that could pulverize almost anything into a healthy smoothie would be a start in the right direction.

So far, between spending hours on Pinterest looking for smoothie recipes, I have made hummus for Ashley. She LOVES hummus, but it can be really expensive in the store. Not so with my new Vitamix. Just two cans of chick peas, and a few other ingredients that I almost always have in my panty, and poof - healthy, cheap hummus! At the grocery store yesterday, the chick peas for $1.00 a can, and I stocked up. Ashley tried the first batch last night and loved it.

I've also made two different types of green smoothies, and what all the recipes say is correct - you really cannot taste the spinach or kale in the smoothie. I made one for breakfast this morning with fruit, spinach, almond milk and Greek yogurt, and I was fine until lunch where normally I would have wanted to snack mid-morning.

So if any of you have any smoothie or hummus recipes you like, please share! And if you use your Vitamix or Blendtec for other awesome things, let me know that also!

No comments: