Thursday, September 12, 2013

Community?

I still can't get the discussion with Ashley's doctor out of my mind. You know, the one about my plans for Ashley's future. And I wonder what you think about ideas like this:

Virginia Beach complex for people with intellectual disabilities

The proposed Virginia Beach complex appears to be modeled after a place called Lamb's Farm. Lamb's Farm has a very slick website, and from all accounts is a wonderful place.

If your loved one with disabilities is for whatever reason unable to remain in their family home, would places like these two be an acceptable alternative? They are not the dark, horrible institutions of the past (a few of which still remain at least in my state), but are they as close to inclusion in full society that we can get? Are they still an institution of sorts?

What are your thoughts?

No comments: