Monday, January 12, 2009

De-GRYS of Love!


Some of my coworkers make fun of me when I tell them I have to watch Extreme Home Makeover each Sunday night because it always gives me the opportunity for a ‘good’ cry. They can’t understand why I want to end each week crying, but it’s the ‘good’ part of the crying that makes the difference.

Last night’s episode featured the Grys family, and no other Extreme Makeover show touched me the way this one did.

The Grys family has fostered 250 children over the years. And, not just any children. They specifically request the infants with the most severe disabilities. The children that are placed with them usually have just the slightest of chance of survival. But the family keeps coming back for more.

Currently the family included the mom and dad, two twenty-something birth children, two fifteen year old twin girls diagnosed with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome and an eight year old boy diagnosed with brittle bone disease and dwarfism.

Three things about this show impressed me more than any of the others. First, the dad was wearing a shirt that said, “Who are all these kids and why are they calling me Dad?” I’m sure that sense of humor helps sustain this family through even the most difficult of times.

Secondly, the dad also made the statement, “If someone tells me a kid will never be able to do something, I will spend the rest of my life proving them wrong.” I’m thinking this man is the triplet I never met. I have a twin, but his making that statement shows me my mother must have had triplets and just forgot one at the hospital.

And finally, at the end of the show, the builder for the family’s new home made the statement, “If you dream it and believe it, you can make it happen.” I love that person and I don't even know her.

God bless you, Grys family, and everyone at Extreme Makeover Home Edition who helped make this family's dreams come true.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, have not commented here before. Very nice to meet you! Your post is very nice . . .

I do not know the Grys family but I do live across town from them. Our town swirled around this family a few months ago and were all buzzing while the make over was going on. I am not really "into" TY Pennington . . . he was here for a short time - not all week. I think the contractors and volunteers did a Phenomenal job. I know without the "famous" people that make up the design team, the makeover probably would have never happened. That being said, I was more impressed with the love of a community and the sacrifices the volunteers and contractors made. In fact, just weeks prior to our Mayor's Death, he was at the Extreme Makeover day and night ensuring that everything they needed was taken care of. Mayor Tebben passed away in early December.

My hubs loves to watch Extreme Home Makeover . . . I watched last night - only to see how the program came together. Last nights show was the best I had ever watched of EHM . . . I was impressed that they actually focused on the family. The Grys family are very deserving of this lovely gift. Little Jake's smile can simply melt you!

Thank you for the post.

Holly said...

I love the show too and it often brings me to tears. I mostly just love the story, not the building and not the house. I was touched by last nights family too.

Nina Diane said...

I love that show and I'm like you...I cry every Sunday night!