Tuesday, February 3, 2009

"I never want to not be disabled"


My kids and I love the snow, but unfortunately we don't see very much of it around my part of Virginia. Then again, maybe that's why we love it - because we don't have to deal with piles and piles of dirty snow for 6 months out of every year. We get the pretty, magical snow that comes and goes in a few days, hopefully long enough to get a day or so out of school or work.

But parts of my state do get lots of snow, and one of our favorites is Wintergreen Ski Resort. If ever we are needing a dose of snow, Wintergreen is only an hour away.

One of the things I like most about Wintergreen is the owner's committment to providing a ski experience for everyone - even, dare I say it, people with disabilities. In addition to sponsoring the Virginia Winter Special Olympics each year, Wintergreen also has an adaptive sports program. Here is a great article that recently appeared in a Winston Salem, NC newspaper about the program, and one of its participants. I *love* her final comments in the article!

Adaptive Sports at Wintergreen

1 comment:

Sally's World said...

Wow, my son's a wheelchair user, he saw this and is trying to talk me into taking him. I may be able bodied, but it will be me that breaks a leg, I just know it!

Great positivity x