Thursday, February 26, 2009

Thankful Thursday


My Thankful Thursday post is late going up today. Why? I’m having a tough time concentrating on ‘thankful’ instead of ‘frustrated’.

I’m frustrated with my job – way too much to do in way too little time, and unfortunately the way too much to do keeps growing. I need a balance in my life and finding that balance in light of the ever growing workload is difficult.

I’m frustrated with our foster care system where decisions impacting the future of a small child are made by people who have never been parents and who have little to no clue about advocacy, medical issues, or support systems that have been present in society for more years than I have been alive (and that’s a lot of years!).

I’m frustrated with a school system that really doesn’t care no matter what flowery words they use in their mission statement. I’m frustrated that the same battles happen every single year.

But, I’m trying to convince myself that on a day like today, one filled to the brim of my soul with frustration, is exactly the kind of day where I need to list things for which I am thankful. So, for what it’s worth, here goes. Today I am thankful…


  • For French fries loaded with salt and pepper

  • For the warm, snuggly, cocoon-like feeling I experience each morning before having to drag myself out of bed

  • For Miss Amy and all her wonderful ideas on how to put fun into Ashley’s life

  • For children who smile at me as they walk past holding their parent’s hand

  • For the gentle feel of Ashley’s hands on my cheeks as she moves my face to be inches away from hers

  • For drivers who are polite and not impatient

  • That Jessica will be coming home for a visit this Saturday

  • That my son, Chip, smiled and asked me if I had a nice nap when I fell asleep on the couch last night watching TV

  • For the blooms just starting to erupt on the Camellia bush by my front door

  • That my children and I are well and happy almost all the time

No comments: