Friday, January 28, 2011

Wanting a Snow Cone, not a Snowy Day


I know it's only January, but I'm weary of Winter.

The grey skies, the dead lawns, the ice, the snow - they are all depressing me. I like winter, usually, but this year the longing for Spring has captured my thoughts earlier than usual.

I long for sun and warmth - daffodils and forsythia, not red berries and naked limbs. I want to smell citronella not fireplace smoke. I want to eat a burned hot dog from the grill not another hearty stew.

I want to shop for colors named melon, lime and raspberry - not greys and blacks and burgundy. I want the warmth on my skin to come from the sun not the radiator. I want to plan a vacation at the beach and not worry about shoveling snow from the driveway. I want sandals not boots with two pairs of socks.

I'm sure by August, I will be listing all the cold weather things I long for, but today Spring and Summer are my elusive dreams...

No comments: