Monday, April 16, 2012

Swash!



This week I am going to write about some of the things that have made my life as a mom to children with special needs a little easier. These will be the more obscure things - not wheelchairs, standers, hoyer lifts, etc - but things we might not think of right off the bat. And, if you have any products to share that have helped you and your children, please feel free to share!

In 2008 I wrote about one of my favorite things - my CleanButt Bidet toilet seat!

It was one of the features of my bathroom remodel, a remodel to make things easier for Ashley. And it worked so well that I have no idea how we existed prior to having it. But alas, four years later, the CleanButt was showing its age and I needed to replace it.

I searched far and wide on the Internet only to discover that the CleanButt company was no more...Even though I initially panicked, I did find that there are some other companies that make a similar product.

The product I chose was the Brondell Swash, and it is every bit as good as the CleanButt, and maybe even better. (Brondell has not asked me to review their product nor provided their product to me. I paid for it with my own hard earned money.)



The Brondell is sturdier, it looks nicer, and it was cheaper. There are more expensive models, but I opted for the one without the blow dryer. The one I got does have heated water, and cusomizable positions and water strength. The directions that came with it for installing it were simple to understand and very complete. Because we already had the electrical outlet behind the toilet, Chip was easily able to get it installed in about 30 minutes. (Brondell does make a model that doesn't require the electrical outlet, but the water isn't heated.)

I wholeheartedly recommend this product for anyone caring for a person with a disability - young or old. It has made life so much easier for me, and so much more respectful for my two kids with disabilities.

1 comment:

Jules said...

Hi,
I have been reading your blog for a while. I live in Turkey and ALL toilets here had a built in bidet, just like your attachment. I have to say, they are fabulous for everyone. Though the standard built in ones might not be heated or have blow dryers, they are available in all toilets, even those in gas stations.

Best,
Jules