Friday, September 4, 2009

Kindled?


I wrote last April about protests over the Amazon Kindle and the fact that some authors did not want the text to speech feature enabled for their book. As the parent of a child who is blind, that struck a nerve with me. Combine that with the fact that I'm not sure I could read a book without actually turning paper pages (reading to me is all about the experience and that experience involves paper), and buying a Kindle has never been something I have considered.

However, my college-age son did buy one, and reluctantly I must admit, I like it. Do I like it enough to give up turning paper pages and dustcovers? Probably not, especially since I can go to the library and get books for free rather than paying $10 each time I want to read a new book, but I am going to give it a try.

The first book I wanted to try on the Kindle was Jonathan Mooney's The Short Bus. I wrote several times in 2007 about Jonathan's book, and it is still one of my favorites. Of course, that has nothing to do with the fact that one of the chapters (Chapter 7 to be exact) is devoted to my lovely Ashley!



And I've got to admit that seeing that chapter, and Ashley's name, emblazoned on the Kindle did make me smile!

Tell me, have any of you bought a Kindle, and what are your experiences and thoughts?

No comments: