Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Happy Birthday, Beautiful!


The doctors were reluctant to let me bring her home at age 2. They were afraid she wouldn't live to see her third birthday. They asked me if I knew of a good 'facility' for her. They kept saying things like, "You know she'll never walk", "You know she'll never be able to communicate with you or anyone else", and "You know she will be a huge burden to you and the rest of your family." When I bundled her into her car seat and drove toward home, I saw them in my rear view mirror just shaking their heads.

Well, you know what, doctors? You couldn't have been more wrong.

She did walk. In fact, in the second grade she got sent to the principal's office for running in the halls. She does communicate quite well. Just ask the teacher that she continues to call a 'b*tch'. She is without a doubt communicating. And a huge burden??? She is the light of this family. She is our glue, our reason for getting up every morning. Her smile makes everyone one of us smile back, and the touch of her hand is like angel kisses. Not I, not her sister, not her three brothers would ever, ever consider her a burden.

Oh, and one other thing - she did live past her 3rd birthday. On Monday, my beautiful Ashley turned 15 years old. She is every bit a teenager. She is strong and willful, opinionated and defiant. She is beautiful and loving and one of the most caring people I have ever known. She is perfect, and you, dear doctors, have absolutely no idea what you missed when you turned, walked away and shook your heads.

7 comments:

loonyhiker said...

I'm so glad you did what you new in your heart was right. Doctors can only guess about the future and really don't know. My oldest sister was diagnosed with lupus when she graduated from high school in 1965 and was told she only had 6 months to live. They told her all sorts of things about living her last 6 months. I enjoyed being with her as I grew up for another 9 years after the diagnosis. About 20 years ago, I went completely bald due to stress and doctors told me my hair fell out by the roots and would never grow back. Now I have whole head of hair that grew back. So, doctors sometimes do the best they can but it is all just an educated guess and nothing more. Happy happy birthday to Ashley!

Katherine said...

My eyes are wet with tears. This was absolutely beautiful!
Working in disabilities, this is a story I have heard from quite a few of my clients parents.
My questions to these doctors would be:
What about the strength of human spirit?
What about the strength of love?
What about the determination & care of the people whom love unconditionally?
I have seen clients whom were given similar prognosis from doctors & have, like your gorgeous Ashley, shown proven the doctors very wrong.
Medicine can only do so much but love can move mountains.
Happy 15th Birthday Ashley!

ANewKindOfPerfect said...

Happy birthday Ashley! You are living proof that miracles exist. More than that, you are proof that doctors do NOT know everything. You are thriving and doing amazing. Mom, you are doing an incredible job. I just looked at the article about your new son and the pictures. What a blessing. :)

Ivey's Mom said...

Happy Belated Birthday Ashley!

Michelle Morgan-Coole said...

Happy Birthday Ashley!

I didn't realize that her and the Blue Jay had the same birthday - two years apart.

Azaera said...

Happy Birthday Ashley! What a beautiful post, those doctors were idiots, and clearly none of them were parents to a special needs child.

Nina Diane said...

and so much credit to you! for giving this beautiful girl a loving family and more than anything, believing in her! God bless and Happy Easter!