Friday, March 26, 2010

Making Doctor Appointments Easier


Ashley, like Ronnie, is deaf, but she is also blind. So, whenever she had doctor's appointments, I would act as her interpreter. Finding an interpreter for a child that is deafblind is almost impossible. And, it never really crossed my mind that I could ask a doctor's office to provide that interpreter.

But I called today to make an appointment for Ronnie to see a urologist, and the appointment scheduler asked me if we needed an interpreter. My initial instinct was to say no, that I would perform that function. But before I actually said that, I changed my mind.

I decided that it might be easier for me to concentrate on what the doctor was saying if I could really listen, and not try to interpret at the same time. And, I think I would be more likely to forget any questions I might have if I was having to listen, interpret and think simultaneously.

I'm pretty good at multitasking, but I know my limits also!

So now I'm thinking that I will ask for an interpreter for any and all appointments for Ronnie. Have any of you run into any problems making this happen with your doctors? Does it make sense that I should do this?

2 comments:

Azaera said...

Though I have never had to do this because Skyler is well still only a toddler, and is just blind not deaf, I think it's a good idea because you'll be able to focus on what's being said and ask questions while he's being kept informed. And if the person doesn't work out, you can always look for someone better suited to your family's needs.

Ivey's Mom said...

I have been out searching around blogs and found yours. My daughter is deafblind too. Nice to meet you.