Friday, September 16, 2011

Front Porch Biology - Take 2


I wrote back in 2007 (have I really been blogging that long??)about an impromptu biology lesson with Ashley on our front porch. This week another lesson, this time with Ronnie, happened.

Ashley's school bus had just picked her up, but Ronnie and I were still waiting for his. He noticed two squirrels frolicking in the front yard, and signed to me that they were 'making babies." That took me by surprise even though it shouldn't. He is 16 years old. I signed back, "Yes, they are," and we continued to watch.

Ronnie pointed out that the male squirrel kept biting the female squirrel. He signed, "Fathers shouldn't be mean to mothers." Ummm, I think we weren't just talking about squirrels anymore.

I asked him if his birth father had been mean to his birth mother, and he signed, "Yes." I told him that I was sorry and that he was correct, fathers should never be mean or hurt mothers.

He watched a few minutes longer. I hugged him and told him that I loved him. He signed it back as his bus pulled up to our house....

No comments: