Thursday, April 1, 2010

Teenagers!


Teenagers are such complex creatures, aren't they? Most of the time I can almost figure out what is going on in their minds and their reasons for the things they do. But every so often, they throw me for a loop. Ronnie, with us for just a week now, has already done that. And Ashley, well we all know what a smart little thing she is. But she still never ceases to amaze me.

Here are some observations from this week...

Ronnie

I noticed a couple of days ago that when Ronnie was getting dressed for school, he kept his pajamas on under his clothes. He actually went to school that way a couple of days. I asked him why he was doing it, and he just shrugged and didn’t seem to want to share an answer. This morning I told him that it was going to be a very warm day, and that wearing his pj’s probably wasn’t a good idea. He didn’t wear them today, but I am still really puzzled why he wanted to.

Does anyone have any ideas why he might want to wear his pajamas all day under his clothes???

Ashley

Ashley has tendency to get up several times each night. Actually, it’s a good night if she only gets up twice. Because she is blind, I worry about her wandering around the house at night and perhaps getting hurt. So, for many years I have put a baby gate at her bedroom door. However, even though I have put it up, for the last 3-4 years, she has been quite adept at taking it down. The noise was enough to alert me to get up and steer her back to bed before she started wandering.

But just before Ronnie joined us, I decided to have a dutch door installed at her bedroom. I thought that I could leave the top part open at night so I could still hear her, but the bottom part could be closed and locked so she wouldn’t wander. Seemed like a good idea – at least until she figured out how to unlock the door.

Last night, or early this morning actually, I was sound asleep. She walked into my room and turned on the overhead light, smiling all the while. So much for the lock….

What interesting things have you observed about your children this week?

5 comments:

Azaera said...

I still like to wear pyjamas under my clothes, but only in winter because I live in the prairies where it gets down to -50 and one layer of clothes just doesn't cut it. I sometimes wear 3 or 4 pairs of pants and several shirts and sweaters under my jacket just to stave off frostbite. Haha, yeah not much of an answer for you since you probably don't have the same weather concerns.

And maybe Ashley is just growing up and is ready to be more independent? Can she see/get around better in the daytime? As my CNIB OT told us once (she has a client who is completely blind and is about 5 years old) the parents let him sleep in their bed because they said he must be so afraid to be alone in the dark since he's blind. She pointed out that the child could see no better whether it was daytime or night time.

So I'm just wondering if she has trouble with bumping into things with the lights on or just when it's dark. I'm still not sure how Skyler will do with that. He seems to see pretty well in the dark actually (though not any further than usual mind you.)

As for strange things, Skyler is like his parents, pretty much everything he does is strange. Haha. I'm sure he has his own reasons for doing them though.

Michelle Morgan-Coole said...

Sounds like Ashley is telling you she needs more independence in this area. And she doesn't just need it, she is taking it. I imagine it makess her feel pretty good to be able to get through whatever you put in place. Look at me, Mom!

The tough job as parents (of any kids) is knowing how, where and when to let go. I was thinking about that the other day - with our typical kids we know that at age 18 or 19 they're considered adults and we can no longer control their lives. But for our kids with special needs, who we're always working so hard to keep safe ... it's a lot tougher.

Michelle Morgan-Coole said...

Sounds like Ashley is telling you she needs more independence in this area. And she doesn't just need it, she is taking it. I imagine it makess her feel pretty good to be able to get through whatever you put in place. Look at me, Mom!

The tough job as parents (of any kids) is knowing how, where and when to let go. I was thinking about that the other day - with our typical kids we know that at age 18 or 19 they're considered adults and we can no longer control their lives. But for our kids with special needs, who we're always working so hard to keep safe ... it's a lot tougher.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ronnie

It's Me Mark

Ashley's Mom said...

Mark, Ronnie wants to call you on the videophone but doesn't have your number. Can you give it to me for him?