Monday, July 30, 2012

Brave Enough?


You know what I really want to see on TV - a show that has a character with severe disabilities. I don't mean a show ABOUT a person with severe disabilities, but rather a show the INCLUDES a character like that.

We've seen shows that include people with Down Syndrome, people with other intellectual disabilities, and people with physical disabilities like the current Push Girls show. But I want to see a person who uses a wheelchair, uses a device for communication, is tube-fed, and maybe even someone who has a trach.

I don't want that character to be the only thing the show is about. I want that character to be part of a family, or a group of friends - someone who is part of life, both its challenges and its fun.

Perhaps a show like Modern Family. Yes, it's a comedy and some of you may be thinking that there is nothing funny about a person with severe disabilities. I disagree. I have met some hilariously funny people, people who just happen to have several significant disabilities.

I know that Ashley is not considered severely disabled by some, although her diagnosis of deafblindness does sort of qualify her to use that label. She has a wicked sense of humor and always has. I've also met a woman who moves her power wheelchair by blowing into a straw. She loves to tease and play jokes on people and has the most infectious laugh ever.

It's time for society to want to be friends with people with significant disabilities. Most of the time, I think people just don't know how to be that friend, and a TV show could help.

What do you think? Is there a network brave enough to even consider such a show?

1 comment:

Molly said...

Idk if there is, but there SHOULD BE. I met a woman this weekend who is deaf and has Down syndrome and a trach. Wendy also has a wicked sense of humor and I love her!